Villa San Pietro
Overview and Geography
Villa San Pietro (Santu Pedru or Santu Peldu in Sardinian) is a plain-level municipality of 2,155 inhabitants set at an altitude of 37 meters in the Metropolitan City of Cagliari, within the Sulcis-Iglesiente area. Situated inland between the Rio Mannu and Rio de Su Molenti streams at the foot of Mount Punta Sa Cresia, it is the only municipality in the immediate coastal sector without direct sea frontage.
Villa San Pietro is a member of the Associazione Nazionale Città della Terra Cruda. The name combines Villa with the dedicated patron saint, St. Peter.
Economy and Local Culture
-
Agropastoral & Light Industrial Economy: Agricultural products include cereals, wheat, vegetables, wine, olives, citrus, and livestock (swine, sheep, goats, horses, poultry). Small industrial enterprises operate in food processing, apparel, metallurgy, and construction.
-
Traditional Architecture: Town homes feature traditional Campidanese mudbrick (làdiri) construction over river-stone foundations.
-
Festivals and Traditions:
-
Stops of the Procession of Sant’Efisio (May 2 & May 4): Key ritual stops at Villa Atzori and Casa Fadda during the annual pilgrimage between Cagliari and Nora.
-
Patronal Feast of San Pietro (June 29): Religious processions, folklore performances, sports events, and a parish youth singing competition.
-
Sagra del Raviolo (August 16): Culinary festival celebrating local ravioli.
-
Festa di Sant’Isidoro Agricoltore (September 1): Agricultural patronal festival featuring processions.
-
The Sant’Efisio Procession Stops
During the annual May 2 pilgrimage from Cagliari to Nora, the carriage of Sant’Efisio makes two important stops in Villa San Pietro:
-
Villa Atzori (Viale Cagliari 2): Since May 1, 1943, when local driver Mario Atzori rescued the statue from war-damaged Cagliari on a truck, the procession halts at Villa Atzori. During the return journey on May 4, the statue circles the villa grounds and is draped in the Atzori family’s gold cloak.
-
Casa Fadda (Piazza San Pietro 18): The 7th official stop on May 2. The carriage halts outside the old church; the statue is carried through herb-strewn streets while pilgrims receive hospitality at Casa Fadda, and the carriage oxen are re-yoked.
History
Settled in prehistory (five giant’s tombs and an unexcavated nuraghe) and developed during Roman times. Medievally known as Santu Pedru de Nuras in the Curatoria of Nora (Giudicato of Caralis), it was granted to the Pisan Counts of Donoratico in 1323 and elevated to a Marquisate under the Catalan Centelles family in 1603. Pirate raids caused repeated abandonments through the 18th century. Renamed Villa San Pietro in 1728, it was merged into Pula as San Pietro Pula (1805–1948) before regaining full municipal autonomy under its present name in 1950.
Main Landmarks and Architecture
Town Center
-
Old Church of San Pietro Apostolo (Sa Cresiedda): Located in the circular Piazza San Pietro (formerly the town cemetery), this 13th-century Pisan Romanesque-Gothic church features a single absidial nave, a timber roof, arcaded side walls, a central bell gable, and a Pisan side portal. Served historically as a sanctuary during coastal Saracen raids.
-
New Parish Church of San Pietro Apostolo: Located at Viale Cagliari 7, a large modern parish church constructed to replace the outgrown medieval sanctuary.
-
Town Hall (Municipio): Located on Piazza San Pietro 6, facing the medieval church.
-
Casa Fadda & Villa Atzori: Historic estates on Piazza San Pietro and Viale Cagliari tied to the Sant’Efisio pilgrimage.
-
Municipal Sports Facilities: Sports field and facilities located along Via Nuoro.
Archaeological Sites
-
Perda ‘e Accuzzai Giant’s Tomb: Located northwest of town off Via Pedemontana, this is the best-preserved of five prehistoric giant’s tombs identified in the municipal territory.