Zerfaliu
Overview and Geography
Zerfaliu (Tzorfuliu in Sardinian) is a plain agricultural municipality of 1,000 inhabitants situated at an altitude of 15 meters along the right bank of the Tirso River in Oristano province. Set within the fertile Campidano di Oristano plain, its territory exhibits an undulating profile ranging from 11 to 131 meters above sea level. The local economy relies heavily on agropastoral activities, quality winemaking (particularly Vernaccia), and citrus fruit orchards.
Etymologically, the pre-Roman name is linked by linguist Massimo Pittau to terms like Zarpaliu and Tzarfalu, referring to chervil (french parsley, cerfoglio), suggesting the village was named after the natural abundance of this aromatic plant at its original site.
Economy and Local Culture
-
Citrus Production & Gastronomy: Zerfaliu is renowned across Sardinia for its extensive citrus orchards (oranges, mandarins, clementines, grapefruits) and Vernaccia wine.
-
Sagra degli Agrumi (Citrus Festival): Established in 1997 and held annually between February and March, this major festival attracts thousands of visitors to taste citrus varieties, jams, traditional pastries, and local dishes.
-
Festivals and Traditions:
-
Sagra della Pecora & Festa di San Giovanni Battista (June 24): Co-organized with local shepherds to honor their patron saint, featuring boiled mutton and malloreddus tastings.
-
Patronal Feast of Gesù Trasfigurato (Santu Domini) (August 6): Organized by the 50-year-old residents’ committee, marked by the S’Arrassignu eve procession with coggius devotional hymns, launeddas, and accordion music.
-
Festa di San Pio (September 22–23): Organized by 40-year-old residents on Piazza San Pio.
-
History
Inhabited since the Nuragic era, medieval Zerfaliu belonged to the Curatoria of Campidano di Oristano in the Giudicato of Arborea. Following the fall of Arborea (1420) and the Marquisate of Oristano (1478), it passed under Aragonese feudal rule. In 1767, it was incorporated into the Marquisate of Arcais (Flores Nurra family) until feudal redemption in 1839. Historically prone to severe flooding from the Tirso River, the inundations ceased following the construction of the Santa Chiara dam in 1924. Temporarily merged into Solarussa (1927–1946), Zerfaliu joined Oristano province upon its establishment in 1974.
Main Landmarks and Architecture
Town Center
-
Church of San Giovanni Battista: A 13th-century Romanesque church built using basalt blocks from the now-vanished Nuraghe San Giovanni. The exposed stone façade showcases original Romanesque masonry alongside later expansions, an intact original portal, and a central bell gable. The single-nave interior features a timber roof, two plaster arches, and an intact ancient Romanesque apse in the presbytery. The church courtyard preserves historical headstones from the old cemetery closed in 1930.
-
Parish Church of the Santissima Trasfigurazione (Santu Domini): Constructed during Spanish rule (15th–16th century) over an 11th-century foundation. Adjoined by a medieval Pisan arch topped by a bell gable, and a controversial modern bell tower built in 1964. Features a single barrel-vaulted nave, side chapels, and a stained-glass window depicting the Transfiguration.
-
Town Hall (Municipio): Located on Via Roma at the terminus of Via IV Novembre.
-
Piazza San Pio: An elevated, tree-lined public square featuring a statue dedicated to Saint Padre Pio of Pietrelcina.
-
War Memorial (Monumento ai Caduti): Located at a public junction along Via Principe Umberto, erected in 1962 to honor local soldiers fallen in World War I and II.
-
Civic Infrastructure: Includes primary school sports courts (basketball/volleyball), middle school indoor gymnasium, and the municipal sports grounds (dirt football pitch, tennis court, multi-purpose court).
Archaeological Sites and Surrounding Area
-
Nuraghe Complex de Mesu: The largest and best-preserved nuraghe in Zerfaliu, set in the center (mesu) of a broad valley. Comprises a 10-meter-high central keep (surviving 5 meters above crollo) and two secondary towers. Traces of an adjacent hut village and a 2-meter-deep Nuragic sacred spring (fonte nuragica) are located 30 meters away.
-
Nuraghe Complex Cagotti: Ruins of a complex nuraghe consisting of a main keep and one or two front towers overlooking Lake Ollastra.
-
Nuraghe Jana: A single-tower nuraghe standing at 58 meters elevation, named after the mythical Sardinian fairies (janas).
-
Serra Ebbruzzu Giant’s Tomb: Remnants of a prehistoric megalithic burial site in the municipal territory.